This article is about binaural beats and how they affect brain waves. If you have heard of binaural waves, sound or beats and would like to understand a little more, I hope this will help. I’ve chosen 4 questions that are asked most frequently about this phenomenon and have tried to answer them in the most simple, informative way I can.
1. What are binaural beats/waves? Binaural beats are created in the brain when the brain is presented with the sound of two tones of slightly different frequencies. The tones, when they are less than 30 Hz apart, will produce a kind of wavering or warbling effect. This warbling sound is called a beat. When the brain perceives this difference in the two tones, it produces a frequency of its own to make up the difference in the two frequencies and that is a binaural beat.
2. How do they work? Binaural beats and sounds use a process called entrainment. Your brain operates at different frequencies. When you’re stressed, for example, your brain is “waving” at a frequency of roughly 25 Hz. Lets say you wish to relax. So, you put on earphones where binaural sounds will play two tones, say a 350 Hz tone in one ear and a 360 Hz tone in the other ear, to make the brain perceive a binaural beat of 10 Hz. 10 Hz is the normal brainwave frequency of a totally relaxed person. So the brain “entrains” toward that perceived frequency of 10 Hz and you calm down and relax.
3. What are binaural waves/beats used for? Binaural beats are used to bring a person to a certain state of being. Examples include: relaxation, boosted creativity, increased memory, laser focus and concentration. They have been labeled “digital drugs” because of their ability to reproduce the effects of drugs and alcohol. They’ve also been controversially used in medicine as an alternative form of healing.
4. Are they safe? Yes, binaural waves/sounds are safe and drug free. I will mention here that binaural waves can be induced visually as well using flashing pulses of light. These, however, have been known to produce headaches and even, in a few cases, epilepsy in susceptible people.
There is much more to binaural waves than just what I’ve mentioned here. Binaural waves can do many things to improve our quality of life safely and effectively. I hope this article has been of use to you and I hope you enjoyed it.
Binaural Beat Recordings Recommendation
Unexplainable Store “You’ll become a believer with your first purchase from the Unexplainable Store. They have the highest quality recordings I have found – just download and put on your headphones for an instant journey!”
- Brain Frequency and Binaural Beats